Find South Dakota Roofing Contractors
We'll introduce you to professional roofing contractors ready to complete your project
America's #1 Source for Local Roofers
Common Causes for Roof Leaks
- Leaking gutters or leaking flashing: Corroding gutters and flashing can give water a place to leak into the interior of the roof. Though these are usually well sealed, they tend to erode over time.
- Ice dams: Ice dams develop when warm air from the attic melts the snow close to the top of the roof at the roof ridge and refreezes at the roof’s edge. Ice dams inhibit proper drainage, which can cause water to damage the roof’s interior.
- Leaking chimney or skylight: Leaks around chimney flashing and skylights occur due to compromised sealants, cracks, or improper installation.
- Missing shingles: High winds and harsh storms can uproot shingles, leaving your roof exposed to the elements.
- Valleys: Valleys are the small gutter-like sections that run down the interior angles of your roof. Fungus, improper cleaning, and lifted shingles can allow rainwater to penetrate the roof.
Learn more about roof leaks:
- I Found a Roof Leak. What Should I Do Next?: 5 Tips for Addressing Roof Leaks
- Emergency Roof Leak Repair: Temporary Solutions for a Leaking Roof
- Top 10 Causes for Roof Leaks & How to Fix Them
Hire a Roofing Professional
While some roof leaks are insignificant and can be sufficiently repaired by homeowners, we recommend calling a professional for most roof leaks. A trained roofing professional will be able to perform the job safely and properly, which can save you money in the long run.
Keep reading about how to hire the ideal contractor: