Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Oak Ridge, TN
If you haven't hired a Oak Ridge roofing company before, take a moment to review a few helpful hints.
Do roofing contractors in Oak Ridge, TN charge for estimates?
Most Oak Ridge roofers will provide a free written estimate on your roof. A few roofers charge a small service call fee for roof repair estimates (while roof replacement estimates remain free). The small fee for roof repair estimates charged by some roofers can often be applied to the cost of the repair if you hire that particular roofer to complete the repair.
Four easy steps to selecting a quality roofing contractor in Oak Ridge
- Call Oak Ridge roofers and request a free roofing estimate.
- Interview the roofing company representative. If they don't provide it up front, ask for evidence of license and insurance certificates. Also, do they guarantee their workmanship? Is the estimate and the guarantee in writing? If you're getting a complete roof replacement, ask the contractor if they will provide a couple recent homeowner or business owner references from other Oak Ridge re-roofing projects. If you want a more specialized roofing material like metal, does the roofer have experience as a metal roofing contractor, or is their experience solely in shingles?
- If there are no roofing reviews for a particular contractor, call or email the roofer's references to determine how satisfied they were.
- Select the Oak Ridge roofing contractor that you trust and offers you the best overall value. Value includes quality and price. Don't automatically choose the roofer with the lowest price. There are a lot of "fly-by-night" roofing contractors out there that may provide a low bid and then proceed to provide you poor service and a poorly done roof. Select the contractor that is trustworthy, offers professional credentials, and a fair price.
How do I avoid hiring an unprofessional and unqualified roofer?
Hometown Roofing Contractors has tried to simplify the process of finding the best local roofers. Any Oak Ridge roofers that appears on this page have been "Hometown Verified." That means that we've checked and report out details on these roofing contractors for:
- Warranty or guarantee on their workmanship
- Appropriate state license (if required by your state)
- Liability insurance
- Any third party certifications or endorsements
The screening process by Hometown Roofing Contractors is meant to be the beginning... not the end... of due diligence on your part. Status of license and insurance could have changed since the time of the screening. So, you should still ask to see evidence of the roofers' license and insurance certificates at the time of your estimate.
While license and insurance are a good start, they do not guarantee you'll be hiring a roofing contractor that will do quality work. The best indicator of quality workmanship is local references that are satisfied with the roofers work.
While Hometown checks for a valid roofing contractors license at the state level, we do not specifically check the roofing contractor licensing requirements of local and county municipalities, so it may be worthwhile to check if Oak Ridge roofing contractors are required to be licensed by the city or Anderson County. Roofers that are required to be licensed by the state or local governments should be able to produce a certificate of their license at the time of the estimate.