Lancaster Roofing Contractor Selection Tips
Simple steps to hiring a quality roofer in Lancaster
- View the contractors verified credentials, experience, skills, and reviews
- Contact one or more roofing companies, discuss your needs, and schedule a time for an estimate.
- During the estimate, ask a few questions of the roofing company representative.
Call or email the roofer's references to determine how satisfied they were with the quality of the roof contractor's work.
Select the roofing contractor that you trust and offers you the best overall value. Value includes quality and price. Don't automatically choose the roofer with the lowest price. There are a lot of "fly-by-night" roofing contractors out there that may provide a low bid and then proceed to provide you poor service and a poorly done roof. Select the contractor that is trustworthy, offers professional credentials, and a fair price.
- Do you have evidence of license and insurance certificates?
- What type of guarantees do you offer on materials and workmanship?
- Is the estimate and the guarantee in writing?
- Do you have any recent homeowner or business owner references from other Lancaster re-roofing projects?
- If you're requesting estimates for a specialized roofing material like metal, does the roofer have experience as a metal roofing contractor, or is their experience solely in shingles?
Do roofers in Lancaster, OH charge for estimates?
Most Lancaster roofers will provide a free written estimate on your roof. A few roofers charge a small service call fee for roof repair estimates (while roof replacement estimates remain free). The small fee for roof repair estimates charged by some roofers can often be applied to the cost of the repair if you hire that particular roofer to complete the repair.
How much does it typically cost to replace my roof?
Roof size, location, number of layers to remove, roofing material, slope of the roof, and complexity of the roof all can have a major impact on the cost to replace a roof. All of these variables make it nearly impossible to give an accurate "ballpark" roof estimate. Roofing prices for a full roof tear off and replacement range from $250 per square up to $1200 per square. A "square" in roofing means 100 square feet of roof. "Per square" is often the way roofing prices are quoted.
Here's a ballpark example (remember, this example may bear no resemblance to your circumstances or estimate... so don't hold your Lancaster roofer to this number). A 20 square roof (2000 square feet of roof) with one layer of shingles to tear off, low to moderate slope and complexity, and a medium quality shingle selected may be installed for around $350 per square, or $7000 (20 square X $350 per square).