Roofing Tips & Advice for Ashtabula, Ohio
How much does a new roof cost?
It's very difficult to give an accurate number one can expect to pay for a new roof. Every home is different and every roof is different. Roofing prices range from $250 per square up to $1200 per square. A "square" in roofing means 100 square feet of roof... and that is typically the way roofing prices are calculated and quoted... "per square." Consult Hometown's Roofing Cost Guide for averages and actual project costs.
Roofing costs are impacted by many factors:
- Roof size, slope, and complexity - Roof size is often quoted by Ashtabula roofing contractors in "squares" (100 square feet = 1 square). Size of the roof determines the amount of roofing material needed. Slope of the roof impacts the ease of working on the roof and the amount of labor required for the project. Steeper sloped roofs are more challenging to work on and may require higher labor costs.
- Roof tear off and removal costs - Tear off and proper disposal of existing roof layers is a significant part of the cost of a re-roofing project. More layers cost more to remove and more to dispose of. Disposal costs vary widely by location and whether there is a shingle recycler available locally. If shingles need to be disposed of at a landfill rather than shingle recycling center, that increases shingle disposal costs significantly.
- Roof material type and grade - Higher grade materials cost more. Interested in metal roofing? Metal roofing contractors can provide you a beautiful, durable roof, but metal roofs cost more initially. The same goes for higher quality, architectural shingles, which cost more than 3-tab shingles. Specialty roofing materials like slate roofing or shake roofing, cost more for the material and the installation than a basic shingle roof installation.
- Location of the roof - Labor costs for roofing contractors and material disposal costs have a major impact on the cost to replace a roof. These costs can fluctuate significantly by state and local city.
Do roofers in Ashtabula charge for estimates?
Most roofers will provide a free written estimate on your roof.
What are three keys to a longer lasting roof?
- Hire a knowledgable company that will install your new roof with the proper techniques.
- Higher grade roofing materials with longer warranties should be more durable, especially in harsher climates.
- Any contractor inspecting your roof should look closely at attic ventilation, which is extremely important for avoiding ice damming and damage to the roof.
What types of roofing shingles are there and what are the differences?
- 3-Tab Shingles – These shingles are the least expensive. 3-tab is a good choice for homeowners primarily concerned with the cost of the new roof. 3-tab shingles offer a single layer of protection for your home and have shorter warranties.
- Architectural Shingles - These higher quality shingles are composed of two layers of material per shingle, so they offer a double layer of coverage. Architectural shingles usually have a longer duration on the warranty (i.e. 30 years). Architectural shingles withstand wind and harsh weather conditions better than 3-tab shingles.