Tips for Roofing Repairs in Oxon Hill, MD
A hailstorm damaged my roof. Now what?
Hail damage can be significant. Here are a few quick steps you can take in the event your roof is damaged by hail:
- Check with the roofing manufacturer to see if the damage is covered under warranty (It typically will not be covered)
- If the roof is leaking, contact a Hometown roofing contractor as quickly as possible to reduce the risk of further damage to the roof, structure and interior of the home
- Cover the damaged area (if possible) with a tarp to shield the exposed sheathing and insulation from moisture
- Have your roofing contractor provide an evaluation of the roof to give to your homeowner's insurance agent
DIY roof leak repairs
There are products on the market, such as “rubber in a can,” designed to seal leaky roofs, gutters and flashing. These products are very temporary fixes, if at all. It’s always better to contact a roofing contractor for a repair estimate. Here’s why:
- Doing the repair yourself may void any existing roof warranties
- Falling off a roof really hurts - safety first!
- The repair may be more complex than you realize. You may end up making the damage worse
- The difference in cost between hiring a roofer and doing the work yourself is less than you may think
- Many roofing companies include a warranty on the repair work and will fix it for free if it starts to leak again
Roof Repair FAQs