Tips on Roofing in Bangor, ME
What factors go into the estimate prices of roofing companies?
Estimate prices from local roofing contractors may vary widely based on the details of your particular roof. Here' a few of the key factors that have the biggest impact on roofing cost.
- Roof size - Roof size is quoted in "squares" (100 square feet = 1 square).
- Roof slope - Steeper sloped roofs are more challenging to work on and will require higher labor costs.
- Roofing material - Metal roofing lasts longer than shingles, but costs more. Architectural shingles cost more than 3-tab shingles. Specialty roofing materials like slate roofing or shake roofing, cost more for the material and the installation than a basic shingle roof installation.
- Material grade - Better quality materials will cost significantly more. For example, a shingle with a 30 year warranty will cost more than a shingle with a 15 year warranty.
- Existing roofing material to be removed - If the existing roof needs to be removed, significant cost will be added to your estimate. Tear off and proper disposal of existing roof layers is a significant part of the cost of any re-roofing project. More layers cost more to remove and more to dispose of.
How do I know if a roofing contractor is properly licensed and insured?
For roofers listed on Hometown, we've done the initial homework for you. At the time a roofing company was listed, they provided the appropriate state license (if required by your state) and liability insurance. Select the name of a contractor you're interested in to see more information, including a list of verified credentials for that contractor.
Hometown's screening process means the roofer produced a valid Maine license (if required) and insurance certificates at the time of the screening, but it's possible that the status of the license or insurance could have changed in the meantime. So, it's a best practice to ask to see evidence of the roofers' license and insurance certificates at the time of your estimate.