Tips on Metal Roofing in Eureka Springs
Benefits of Metal Roofing:
- Durable - a metal roof will outlast most other materials in the home.
- Long warranties - many manufacturers warranty their metal roofing for up to 50 years. That's typically two or three times longer than the expected lifespan of asphalt shingles, which may need to be replaced every 15 to 20 years.
- Green roofing - metal roofs are a "cool roof option". They also help reduce energy bills since metal reflects much of the sun's rays.
- Fire resistant - Metal roofs have a Class A fire rating, meaning it receives the designation of "most resistant" to fires.
- Lightweight roof material - metal holds up well in extremely high winds and climate changes
- Will not rust or fade in color - metal roofing panels are protected by layers of metallic and polymer coatings designed to resist rust and fading.
- No removal of old shingles - In many cases, metal roofs can be installed directly over the old shingle roof, saving time and installation costs.
What are the disadvantages of metal roofs?
The price tag of metal roofs is the primary disadvantage. Asphalt or rubber roofing are less expensive in the short term, but not necessarily over the long term.
It’s important to factor in the length of the warranty and expected lifespan of a roofing system to accurately determine its true cost of ownership (TCO). One easy way to do this is to divide the total upfront cost of the roofing system by its warranty in years. The bigger the number, the better the TCO. Metal roofs will almost always have one of the highest TCOs in the industry.
Metal roofing FAQs